Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Under Surveillance

There is a problem with having a best friend and a brother who are both not only totally willing to push you, but also totally bananas creative.  So when Tyler, Tim, and I hit the shops in Georgetown after Christmas, there were lots of talks about this blog and my goal.  Talks that can't be shared in full here yet.  But one idea that can be shared was that despite the meaning behind my blog title, something shorter and catchier was needed.

About a week later Tim and I were kicking around ideas.  Bad ideas.  Really horrible hang-your-head-in-shame ideas. 

And then Tim had a stroke of genius.

UNDER SURVEILLANCE 

We knew it was perfect.  Because I basically am.  Between 3 oncologists, a gynecologist, and my primary care doctor, CT scans, MRIs, xrays, blood work, ultrasounds, and physical exams, someone is up in my business all.the.time. 

But its also perfect because everyone should be.  Thats part of my point in talking to folks about my history.  Every single one of us should be paying attention to our bodies.  Having doctors check what is weird.  Maybe we dont all need the high-security-level of surveillance that Im under, but we all need some level.

So I quickly drafted up this little sketch:
And asked Tim, Lauren, and Worth if it looked anything like what I was going for.  Worth informed me that its what men's eyes look like almost all the time.  So I knew I was on the right track.

Then I hooked up with Brian over at Bonfire Funds.

I sent him an email and received an enthusiastic response right away.  For real - within about an hour.  We set up a call for Saturday and spent nearly an hour chatting about what I was thinking. 

(I did not, however, send him a picture of the boobie-binoculars.  Although now that I know how awesome he is, I might consider it if timetravel were an option.)

Well, dude is bad-ass, and by Sunday he blew me away with a ton of amazing drafts.  And ultimately, just a day later, we ended up with this:
Part of why I like Bonfire is because you can pick your type of shirt - a guys T, a ladies (thats what won my heart), long-sleeved, or a hoodie.  And $15 from every sale supports the Massey Challenge!  Whoot!  Plus they're another amazing RVA business.  So having their support means tons.  Love #RVA.  And Bonfire!

Go here to purchase your shirt today!  Note that if you're in RVA or if I see you often you can use the free shipping passcode oa5y1138 and your shirt will come to me and Ill deliver it to you - complete with a big hug!!

*   *   *
PS - I need throw a shout-out to my assistant, Malissa, who has been so totally helpful in getting these blog posts done.  I dont know anything about JPEGs or PDFs or converting things, and at least once a week she helps me do it so I can share things like the boobie-binocular sketch with you.  So lets all thank Malissa for the boobie graphic today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!