Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Clear Minds, Strong Hearts, Can't Lose

Yes, I just quoted Friday Night Lights.  Get over it.

Last year, my darling friend Rachel and I logged hours upon hours dreaming about where we'd love to take the Massey Challenge.  She was my Lauren last year (aka - a development office liaison who turned into a bestie pretty fast) and we each had this feeling in our guts that the Massey Challenge could be so much bigger.  So much more

So lucky for me, when Lauren joined me this year, she was ready to hop right on board that train.  We culled together our fantastic committee.  We brainstormed for pages on end.  We emailed.  We called.  We met.  And RVA responded.

It became clear in our minds pretty early on - it was up to us to turn the Massey Challenge into the best version of itself, and we totally had the partnerships to do that.

But what we didnt realize is quite how many partners we had out in that community.  Its been a whirlwind, but one that strengthens our hearts each time we take another step.  Its crazy to experience what Rachel and I imagined coming true.

The last two weeks have seen a ton of that support.  Starting over at Clear Chanel Radio.   
Isnt Kat just adorbs?

And if you missed it when the interview aired, you can catch it here:

 
Not only will we be on air with Kat once a month, but both Kat and Jackson are having their own Challenge teams this year!  Listen in to their shows to find out how to join them if you dont have a team of your own. 

Then there was Sportsbackers sponsor day.  Can you tell that talking in front of the likes of Bobby Ukrop might have made me a bit more nervous than usual? 
For reference - "usual" involves no notes.

Monday I had the chance to make my sports radio debut with the Richmond Spiders mens basketball team and Coach Mooney.  For a gal who once considered becoming a sportscaster (hey - it seemed like a good way to cross "meet Boomer Esiason" off the bucket list), this was a pretty amazing night.
But these aren't the only moments filling my heart in the last two weeks.  In just two nights speaking at area YMCA's, I have met two survivors and the father of a survivor.  The number of people at the Swift Creek YMCA who declared their acceptance of the Challenge last night was beyond moving. 
 
And perhaps most of all was the response I received to this piece that appeared in the Richmond Times Dispatch on Sunday morning.  Not only did I receive several sweet emails from friends and colleagues, but I have received an outpouring of emails from folks I have never met before.  I have often said that part of why this small-town girl has fallen in love with RVA is because in many ways it is a small town itself.  And the support I've been shown by total strangers in response to a piece that I was admittedly pretty nervous to put out there confirms that for me once again.
 
I feel like I am living what Rachel and I dreamed last year.  Thank you RVA for making that dream come true!       
 
We know with all the support you're showing Team Massey, there's no way we can lose this battle!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!