Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Running Streak Rehash - Week Ten

When I was a wee little lass, I was an early bird.  Not the wake-up-at-7 kind.  I was the wake-up-at-5:30-and-tip-toe-into-mom's-room-to-force-open-her-eyeball-and-ask-if-she-is-awake kind.  Every. Day.  My mom still likes to remind me of this. 

I like to remind her that this was at least partially due to the fact that I had a 7:30 bedtime until I went to high school.  (No - This is not a joke or an exaggeration.  Cara can vouch for me.)

Even in college, I never slept late.  I honestly could not comprehend my friends' issue with 8am classes.  Or why they couldnt make it to breakfast before them. 

In law school, I got my best work done when Neal and I would be the only people in the journal office bright and early.  I dont think I ever even realized parking could be a problem at UR.  When I got there, the lots were still barren.

And for my first three years practicing law, I easily got out of bed at 4am each week to commute from my home in Durham to my office here in Richmond - often making it in before my locally based colleagues. 

So why 2012 brought with it my complete and utter inability to get out of bed on time is beyond me.  Its like I used up all of my morning person-ness and now my body is catching up on 30+ years of missed sleep.  And in 2013 it seems I am still working on clocking more z's.   

Admittedly, the cold temperatures and snow of late haven't made it any easier.
I started this week with a commitment to run BEFORE my 7am yoga class each day.  With the YMCA information sessions, and a UR/VCU game, and work going on this week, its really the only time I have to fit anything over a mile in. 

But instead, I find myself hitting snooze until the very second I know I MUST get up to get to yoga and running turns into something I need to fit in later.  Like last night - when I got just one mile in after running around all evening and finally getting home around quarter-to-nine.  And I found myself cursing that little snooze button and my laziness earlier in the day.

Day 64 Wednesday January 16, 2013 - 2.32 miles
Day 65 Thursday January 17, 2013 - 1.03 miles
Day 66 Friday January 18, 2013 - 2.42 miles
Day 67 Saturday January 19, 2013 - 3.95 miles
Day 68 Sunday January 20, 2013 - 1.00 miles
Day 69 Monday January 21, 2013 - 1.00 miles
Day 70 Tuesday January 22, 2013 - 2.44 miles

Week Total - 14.16 

Anyone have the secret to finding my mojo early in the day?

In an attempt to rekindle the morning light, I scooped up these kicks last night from 3Sports:
They are all shiny and its totally possible I have imagined I was Queen Neptune and/or a fish while running yesterday and today. 

(And no, thats not the camera angle.  I have amazingly huge feet.)

Remember to head out to visit them in the next two weeks, let them know you support the Massey Challenge and $10 from your sale will support the life-saving work Massey is carrying out!  And if you head to the River Road location, tell my sweet friend Ruthie I say hello! 

And if you missed me at the John Rolfe YMCA last night, you can catch Coach Dan and I at the Swift Creek YMCA tonight at 7!  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!