Sunday, December 2, 2012

How Bizarre . . . How Bizarre

Come on.  I couldn't pass up an OMC reference.  They come along . . . basically never.

Its officially the holiday season.  In my world, that gets rung in with three things.

This little puppy in my office:
These lights strung along my mantle:
And the Bizarre Bazaar at Richmond International Raceway - in particular the Massey Opening Night shopping spree:
If you've never been to the Bizarre Bazaar, its basically a craft show on crack.  But with more than just crafters - every kind of vendor you can imagine is there, selling everything necessary to ensure the happiest of holiday seasons.

It. Is. Bananas.

The night before it officially opens, folks have the opportunity to buy tickets to get a sneak peek (and avoid the crazy crowds the rest of the weekend) while also supporting the VCU Massey Cancer Center.  Its quite the night.  Here are my top 7 loves of this annual event:

#1 - It feeds into my love of eclectic accessories.  In particular, reindeer antlers.
#2 - As with most things Massey, it brings all of my favorite people under one roof for an amazing reason.
#3 - Wine.
(Please ignore that Mike and Carl are holding beer.  And that this picture could also equally come within the parameters of #2, above).

#4 - The unique items you'll find at Biz Baz are hilarious and breathtaking.  And on Opening Night, the vendors have their fullest stock of the weekend - first dibs!
#5 - Those in charge of decorating totally get my love of the whimsical. 
(Its possible that I've been brainstorming how to make this happen in my house since Wednesday).

#6 - There are balloons.  Lots and lots of balloons.
But there is one last reason that by far has a lock on the title of "Kaity's Most Favorite Feature of Biz Baz".

#7 - The Massey Tribute Tree.
For a donation to Massey, people can add the name of a loved one or a message to those fighting, or any other thing they desire, to an ornament that will adorn this tree:
 After the event, the tree is moved to Massey for patients to enjoy throughout the holiday season.

 Of course I added one of my own.
I love watching that tree fill up with notes of love, support, thanks, hope, and optimism.  I love seeing how many people share the same belief that I do.  That we are going to win this battle.

Because we are.

*   *   *

There's an exciting announcement coming tomorrow - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!