Monday, December 3, 2012

Dear Santa . . . (All I Want For Christmas Is . . . Beer?)

Today's post couldn't be about two more different things.

Except that they both involve sticking it to cancer.

(I guess when you think about it that way, just about anything can be related, huh?)

I received an email this morning from my dear neighbor Shela, about this little cutie here:


This is what Shela had to say:

Dale and I recently learned that the almost 9-year old daughter of friends has been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. Her mother Ellyn and my daughter Lisa are very close friends. This beautiful and brave little girl, Gabriella Miller, faces a long course of chemotherapy and radiation. When Bri discovered that she qualified for Make-a-Wish, she was excited to ask for a trip to Paris.. But, because of how special she is, she wants to give back. Macy's has pledged $1,000,000 to the Make-a-Wish Foundation if they receive one million Dear Santa letters by Christmas.  Bri wants to do her bet to meet that goal. Will you help? 

Please pen a letter to Santa, and ask your friends to do the same. All letters may be mailed to Bri, who will personally deliver the letters to Macy's, at this address:

Dear Santa Make-a-Wish with Gabriella
20899 McIntosh Place
Leesburg, VA 20175

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Please keep Bri, her parents and her brother Jake in your thoughts and prayers. Oh, and if you have walnuts sitting around, smash the hell out of them on behalf of Bri. Her tumor is the size of a walnut and to help empower her in this struggle, her parents gave her big bags of walnuts to smash with a mallet. Her friends, her schoolmates, family, and Bri's parents' friends are all symbolically smashing walnuts. So, if you feel so inclined, smash a few walnuts for Bri.
 
So, dear blog readers, I'd like to ask each of you to please send a letter to help Bri reach her goal.  And smash some walnuts.  Because the only thing that makes me madder than cancer is hearing that a child has cancer.  And couldn't we all use to write a letter to Santa anyway?
 
*   *   *
 
Guess what?  These amazing folks partnered with the Massey Challenge today!
They're going to help me on my way to $25,151!  Which is fitting, given my love of good beer. Stay tuned for deets.  You know they'll be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!