Thursday, December 20, 2012

Team Spotlight - Chris’ Caribbean Crazies

I've said it before and I'll say it again (okay - probably at least 50 more times before April 13) - one of the most cherished aspects of the Massey Challenge for me is the people that it brings into my life.  Friendships seems to take on a deeper meaning much more quickly when you are brought together by something like cancer, and learn about one of another person's most difficult experiences right from the start.

So last year, when I met Worth and Josie Bugg at the Team Captain Rally at Home Team Grill, I probably should have just accepted the fact that less than a year later I would love them both dearly.

Worth and Josie are husband and wife and just being around them you can tell how ridiculously in love they are.  Worth knows he's come close to being hidden from my Facebook news feed thanks to his gushing over his beautiful bride.  If you ever needed convincing that soulmates exist - spend a happy hour with these two.  Hell - just spend a happy 15 minutes with them.

Sadly, just days after Worth and Josie married, Josie's dad, Chris Hanners, was diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma, a rare cancer of the bile duct.  He fought hard against the disease, but passed away a few years ago.  Last year, Worth decided to form Chris' Caribbean Crazies to raise money for the Massey Challenge and to honor Chris' spirit. 

Last Sunday, Worth and Josie brought us all together to remember Chris, celebrate the holidays, and add a bit more laughter to our lives - which I've learned is something Chris would have totally wanted.   
Worth arranged for a showing of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation at Richmond's legendary Byrd Theater.  How can you not feel festive here?
The Crazies were out in full force, luring folks in to support Massey.  They did a great job, bringing in $650!!
 The super cute couple:
 And my super cute dates:
In taking on the Challenge, Worth and Josie have blessed Massey with incredible support and me with their amazing friendship.  The quote that headlines the Crazies' Facebook page is probably one of the best summations of what the Challenge is all about:
This is definitely a team that cares a bunch.

Want to learn more about Chris' Caribbean Crazies and reason they accept the Challenge?  You can read their Story of Hope here

2 comments:

  1. Kaity -Thank you for the wonderful article on Worth and Josie and their wonderful cause...I adore them both too! How can you not?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaity - Thank you for the wonderful article for a great cause...I, too, adore Worth and Josie! How can you not?!

    ReplyDelete

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!