Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Why I Run

Confession time here, folks.  I am not a good cancer survivor.  I'm an even worse BRCA1 carrier.  I couldn't tell you what fruits or vegetables make up the dirty dozen.  I reuse disposable plastic bottles.  I don't sleep enough.  I drink far too much.  I don't do self exams.  Line me up against all the other women in the world who are trying to reduce their cancer risk, and I assure you I'd be woefully inadequate.

(This is something I'm pretty okay with - I'll fill you in on why as the new year approaches). 

I'm headed home for the holidays on Friday and there are three things I can guarantee will happen.  1 - I will locate the hidden stash of Ho Hos in my moms house and go to town.  2 - Paula will order something with "gobs and gobs of molten lava cheese."  3 - Jan will ask me why I run.

Me - I'm going for a run.
Jan - Why?
Me - What do you mean why?
Jan - Why do runners run?  I have never seen a happy looking runner. Stay home with me and eat this cheesecake.

He's right.  I probably dont look happy while I run.  I'm slow.  And the first mile always, ALWAYS, sucks for me.  But after that first mile, I tend to settle in and enjoy lots of things about my runs.  Here's my

All-Time-Top-11 Reasons Why I Run 
(Yes, its 11. Stop picking on my list)

11. I love the view of my neighborhood from my sneakers.  And of all the other old 'hoods I run through both at home and when I travel.  I never fail to notice something I would have missed in the car.
(crazy old sign-post marking the street where I grew up)

10. Because my happiest places are outside.  Running gets me out there when my career keeps me from places like this for too long:

9. I like to think my long runs give me extra stamina when I end up on a stage.  Which happens more often than you might believe.
(Rocking out with the Remnants)

8. Running gives me a space to think through my cases away from my desk.  And if I can get through an oral argument during mile 3, I'm usually confident it'll be cake standing still in a courtroom.

7. Ill admit it - I run because I like to drink beer.
(And someone put an amazeballs brewery essentially in my backyard)

6. And because I like to drink wine.
(Acacia - October 2012)

5. I also run because Tim really likes to cook.  And I really like to eat.  And Tim really likes to use butter.
(Bacon-Wrapped-Turkey?  Yes, please)

4. I am one hell of a sensitive girl, and running helps me to process and let go in ways I probably otherwise wouldnt.

3. I have some crazy- athletic friends.  Running lets me feel like I almost have enough cred to hang out (and sort of keep up) with them
(Although maybe I shouldn't worry about that, since we're all good at acting like idiots)

2. Because for a year, I couldnt.  In the months leading up to my Hodgkin's diagnosis, my endurance was quickly ripped away.  And during chemo and radiation I was lucky to make it through a stroll in the market.  Every time I run today, whether for a mile or a 10K (I swear someday Ill run longer than that!) I remember the time when I couldn't run and I am so.damn.grateful.

1. Because it puts distance between me and cancer.  Its the one thing I know I'm doing to tell cancer to back the fuck off.  In my mind, each mile increases the space between us.  And while I dont generally advocate running way from problems, a second cancer diagnosis is one problem I'm happy to high-tail it away from. 

*   *   *

Don't forget to make your last minute 2012 donations!  Its easy - just hit that button up there.  Every dollar helps us move even closer to eradicating this crazy disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!