Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Resolution Rehash

Today is Ash Wednesday - kicking off the Lenten season.  But before I get into what I've chosen to give up for the next 40 days, I thought it would be a good idea to check in on those resolutions I proclaimed back here.  Because accountability and all, you know? 

1. Make time for date night

Well - I failed miserably at this in January.  Like - the flat on your face kind of miserably that makes you want to go back into your blog post and delete the fact you ever mentioned it.

But, I would never really consider something like that . . . right?

A lot of my deviation from this resolution found its root in awesome stuff like this:
Our internal launch of the Challenge at Massey
But even though its usually good and fulfilling stuff occupying my days, I know I need to focus on this resolution more.  I am happy to report that February has gone much better - possibly even in the 4-hours-per-week realm that I am hoping to reach.  And I have to admit, I feel a whole lot more balanced when I clear my schedule for this particularly important person - me. 

2. Make yoga a priority

I've rocked this, if I do say so myself.  Ive missed very few classes in the 40 Day Challenge (and even made them up where I could) and participated in one Saturday afternoon workshop.  A girlfriend and I are scoping out yoga retreats to participate in later in the year.  And Im already working on a schedule that will get me on the mat more often than not during the week after the Challenge wraps up tomorrow.
I might even me a super awesome yogi like these folks one day.

3. Reassess my habits 

This has been difficult, but has gone very well.  While I didnt stay 100% dry during the last 40 days, I significantly - SIGNIFICANTLY - cut down the amount of drinking I have been doing.  And Ive had the chance to really examine why I might drink at times where I would be better off not doing so and the way alcohol impacts my emotional and psychological states.  Its been deep.  And I have to admit, its getting easier to trade in that nightly wine glass for the likes of this guy:
Why, yes, that is a vintage HDJN mug.

4. Bi-Monthly Words

I didn't declare this one in the blog back in January.  But I've alluded to it enough that I feel like it deserves space here.  During Advent I spent time reflecting on the traits, qualities, and themes that I hope to be able to look back and know my life encompassed.  From that list I selected six to focus on this year.  Up first in January and February is Courage.  And while its made me grossly uncomfortable at times, I feel like I have been living much more courageously - taking steps, or even just considering future ones, that in the past I wouldn't have been brave enough to even mull over.  And that discomfort actually feels really good.  Contemplating this theme on a daily basis has really helped me to feel as though my life is being lived in a more purposeful fashion. 
So there you have it - the current status of stuff I'm working on.  And the list will be added to today.  As strange as it seems, I'm looking forward to yet another 40 days on the journey toward a more purposeful life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!