Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Running Streak Rehash - Week 13

Its the end of week 13 and my body is starting to feel it.  My knees and my left heel have been suffering a bit.  But Im hoping that modifying the Intermediate training schedule that the YMCA Training Teams are using (running just a mile on off days) will help things get back in order.  Im super proud that while 5 miles still feels long to me, I can run it without walking.  Maybe Ill become a legit runner after all?

Day 85 Wednesday February 6, 2013 - 2.43 miles
Day 86 Thursday February 7, 2013 - 1.11 miles
Day 87 Friday February 8, 2013 - 1.02 miles
Day 88 Saturday February 9, 2013 - 5.01 miles
Day 89 Sunday February 10, 2013 - 1.02 miles
Day 90 Monday February 11, 2013 - 3.02 miles
Day 91 Tuesday February 12, 2013 - 1.00 miles

Week Total - 14.61

*   *   *

In the last thirteen weeks Ive logged a lot of miles (well, a lot for me) - and a lot of time with my iPhone and earbuds.  I started off just listening to a couple of play lists made up of the stuff in my iTunes account.  But I get bored fast.  So I thought I'd share some of the alternatives that have gotten me through the miles in a happier fashion.

Actually, sometimes I don't listen to anything at all.  Sometimes I just like to run with my thoughts, and the birds, and the cars.  Sometimes Im too tired to listen to anything at all.  Or too stressed from a crazy day.

But when I do want some company, lately this is my first stop:   
Songza just might be the best music app I have ever been introduced to.  Its like Pandora on crack.  I have found some great music I might never have stumbled on otherwise.  And I am never, ever board by listening to the same thing over and over again.  I am in love.  And if that cutie little monster were real, Greg might have a run for his money.

Okay.  Probably not.  But we'd probably have a pet.

For those in between times - when I want something but am not up for music, these next two fellas save me.     


How Stuff Works and Stuff You Missed In History Class teach me the craziest stuff, fill in some gaps I have from high school (when I admittedly missed a lot in history class), and keep me entertained on my longer runs.  Today I learned how autopsies work.  Earlier in the week it was the history of Halloween.  So after a run Im fitter AND smarter.  Win-win. 

Anyone have thoughts on other podcasts that might keep my attention during those longer runs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!