Thursday, February 14, 2013

Ashes, Airplanes, and Arrivals

Yesterday was a big day around these parts.

1. Lent Began

I love Ash Wednesday Mass.  I also love Lent.  There is something about my personality that loves the opportunity to challenge myself - to see how far I can push my limits.  Challenge me to almost anything and I'm virtually guaranteed to hop right on board.   

But I kicked off the new year with a pretty hefty list of changes I wanted to implement.  And I'm still pretty focused on those (I mean - didnt NYE just happen??).  So I had to look pretty hard to figure out something additional that would be challenging and meaningful, but still doable. 

My modus operandi has become clear in the last few years - whenever I give up or limit alcohol, I move directly to the sweet stuff to take its place.  So it seemed like giving this guy the boot would be a good way to go for Lent 2013. 
And let me tell you - that first day in was rough.  Especially since my firm threw a huge birthday party for those with November, December, January, and February birthdays yesterday.  With amazing cakes made and decorated by one of my sweet girlfriends.  Talk about bad timing, huh?

Im not going to go all hard core and give up 100% of sugar.  Fruit is still in.  And I think I am going to adopt a guideline I read somewhere a week or so a go - If sugar is among the first 5 ingredients in something, its out. 

We'll see how this goes!  I think I've got Tim on board, so at least we can commiserate when the gummi bear hallucinations get to be too much.

2. My Baby Bro Is Officially Coming For The 10k!

I am so excited he will be here for the expo and the race (and to help me with yet another house project)!
His proclaimed excitement is over getting to stay in my house with Tim for a weekend.  Apparently this means he will "get all the gossip".

3. Shirts Are In!

I think its generally accepted in law firm culture that very few good things come in large boxes.  Its usually some mess of discovery you wish never entered your office.  So when Malissa delivered this puppy yesterday, neither of us was very happy: 
Until I opened the box!
A huge shout-out of thanks to Brian at Bonfire Funds for letting me run this campaign.  Ill have pics up soon of the shirts being shown off.  Anyone out there who ordered one - dont forget to send me pics!

2 comments:

  1. We got our shirts yesterday too! Will get right on a picture of Maggie rocking her awesome T!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do! That would be awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!