Friday, November 9, 2012

Celebrating Massey

Those who know me well would probably agree that I am up for celebrating just about anything.  I actually used to send out "Happy Groundhog Day!" cards to my nearest and dearest.  Finally cleaned out that closet?  I'd be glad to toast that with a glass of wine.  Puppy finally housebroken?  We probably need to head to happy hour.

But last night's celebration was of something much bigger and much more special.  Once a year we gather to Celebrate Massey and the support the VCU Massey Cancer Center receives from the community.  Its definitely an affair.

There are chandeliers:


And teeny, tiny cups:


And most of my very favorite people:


(I forced Travis to take a legitimate picture to prevent a repeat of the photobomb incident addressed back here.)


(Apologies for the blurry picture - but I couldn't leave Julie out).

And my personal super-star spoke, which obviously meant I got into fan-girl mode for more than a few minutes:


I've been to Celebrating Massey several times before.  And its always special - the air thick with belief and faith and hope.  But this year was particularly special for me for two reasons.  First, it was announced that an endowed chair is being named in Dr. Ginder's honor.  I already knew this, and teared up when I first heard the news, but I almost downright bawled last night.  Dr. Ginder is far too humble and for him to be honored this way lifts my heart right up.  I was so happy to be in the room to hear him acknowledged in that way.

Second, because Julie and Brian revealed a crazy amazing video they worked on together for the Research for Life Campaign. 


It was truly a mind-blowing piece, and if I can get my hands on a public link to it, I will come back and post it.  They are both so talented and it was great to see what they did together.  I love those two!

Yesterday was a difficult day for many of us, as we lost a dear friend and heroic fighter to this terrible disease.  To be able to gather together and recommit to our mission was good for all of our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!