Friday, September 14, 2012

Am I Really In This Room?

Sometimes the Massey Challenge is awesome because it lets me do things I always hoped to do.  Years ago, when I first started volunteering with Massey, I thought it would be awesome to sit on its Advisory Board someday.  But that day seemed decades off - after I had really proven myself worthy of the honor.

And then on Tuesday, somehow I was among the people sitting in this meeting:


Yeah.  Its crazy.  I'm an ex officio member of the Advisory Board.  I mean - my name is even listed among so many crazy-accomplished people here.

It was a pretty surreal day.  On the drive over my emotions were everywhere.

First I was crazy-thrilled - I was actually going to an Advisory Board Meeting!!


And then I was totally nervous - I mean, I was going to an Advisory Board meeting!


And then I felt super flattered and honored to get to sit among such an accomplished group of people.


And then, since I turn into a total fan-girl whenever I get to be in the same room as him, I got completely giddy at the thought of being in a meeting with Dr. Ginder.


Heck, even Ludwig wanted in on the excitement:


(I'm kidding.  But I felt like he deserved a blog shout out.  It would have been pretty funny if I rolled in with at teddy bear though, huh?)

I really, really wanted to document my first Advisory Board experience for this blog, and so I would always remember how exciting it was, but I didn't want to be "that girl" and leave everyone wondering what on earth I was up so.  So this is all I got:


So at the reception following the meeting, Julie and I decided to try to get at least one good picture for posterity's sake.

But my darling friend Travis decided to photo bomb us first.


And the my smile got too cheesy:


But finally we had some success:


I am so honored to get to sit among such incredible people this year and to learn from them.  I'm also so excited for this opportunity to learn more about Massey - and to share that information here with all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!