Monday, November 5, 2012

This One Goes Out To The One(s) I Love . . .

One day you decide to have a party.  During the first discussion with someone else about it you insist that it shouldn't be a big to-do.  Maybe a happy hour with proceeds donated to the Massey Cancer Center.  Maybe a few good friends from around town would stop by to raise a glass to 10 years cancer free and 2+ years winning against the BRCA1 gene.

But then you end up with a night like this:





There are so many people to thank.  Nycom, Inc. and Mark Stoltzfus for their generous sponsorship.  Dixie Donuts and Party Perfect for their extremely touching in-kind donations.

Jeffery and Lamone at C Street who not only listened to Julie and I mull over plans for months but who then went out of their way to bring the most gorgeous evening of my life into existence.  I love those two like woah after all the time we spent together, but all they did Saturday has secured a special place in my heart for them. 

And The Remnants.  How do you truly thank such an amazing group of guys for giving of their time and incredible talent and putting up with the shenanigans of my friends who love to dance - and who think they should have their own band?  They brought something amazing into that tent and I will forever be grateful.

And the friends who turned a random conversation into a celebration I could never have imagined.  Tim - for the literally hours of work on preparations, and gallons of glitter they took.  MH - who helped me with all the initial plans when it started to seem overwhelming.  Lauren - who fielded way too many questions and settled my nerves more often than she knows.  Jamie - who not only crafted the gorgeous necklace I wore that night, but who gifted it to me to make the evening just that much more special (check her out here - you wont regret it).  Julie - who kept everyone calm when day of near-crises popped up (and who birthed this whole idea with me).  Becky - who jumped in to help with sponsorship and last minute kinks in the day.

And every single person who came out on Saturday night.  Some of you had known me for years, some for months, some for weeks, and others I met for the first time that night.  Every one of you mean something so very special to me.  By being there Saturday you reaffirmed once again my belief that we will win this war.  That we will beat this disease.  That we will - in our lifetimes - see the day when no one ever has to hear the words "you have cancer".


From the bottom of my heart.  Thank you.

(All pictures in this post but the first one courtesy of the lovely and talented Stacey at Due West Photography.  Check her out.  Now.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!