Monday, November 12, 2012

Remembering Dustin

Amanda Wray is one of those girls.  You know the type - five minutes into meeting her, all you can think is "oh my gosh - I really hope she wants to be my friend!"

Thats how I felt when I met Amanda for the first time at the Monument Avenue 10K expo last spring.  She is bubbly and smiley and laughs just a little extra loudly.  And she gives the best hugs - even when you've only known her for 5 minutes.

And she wants to kick cancer's ass in a fiercely bad way.

Her motivation is her husband, Dustin.  I could never do his story justice, but you can read more about him here.  I had the honor of spending some time with Dustin in the past year and because of him I learned what a real fighter looks like.  I had the chance to see how deeply he loved Amanda and their boys and the rest of his family and friends.  Although I only knew him briefly, he changed me.  He inspired me.  He still does.   

We lost Dustin to cancer last week.  This disease took yet another wonderful man from our midst, leaving us with precious memories and an ever deeper drive to find a cure for cancer. 

We will all continue to carry you with us, Dustin.  We'll make you proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!