Monday, September 24, 2012

September Committee Meeting

It takes a lot of time, energy, and hard work to get the Massey Challenge message out into the Richmond community.  This year, I am honored to be the Chair of the committee thats going to make that happen.

I have been on the Massey Challenge committee for several years and was so excited and honored to be asked to take on the roll of Chair this year.  With two new liasons from Massey's Development Office at the helm with me, it seemed like a great year to change things up a little.  We started by expanding the committee to include 20 creative, inspiring, and passionate individuals from all over Richmond's community.  And we were lucky enough to have the folks over at Selba offer to host our monthly meetings.


Ill admit, part of why I love the committee so much is that its made up of people that I simply love.  Whether I've known them for years, like Julie:


(Please ignore the fact that I am extremely jet-lagged and stuffering from an early-season cold in all of these pictures!).

Or just a few months, like Jay:


The committee that has come together to make the 2013 Massey Challenge a success has already formed such strong bonds, that its become commonplace to find folks gathered well before our meetings begin to catch up on life before getting down to business:


But once we do get down to business, its pretty serious work.  Planning is still in its early stages for 2013, so there is a lot to mull over with things like sponsorships and recruitment about to get rolling and with so many amazing Richmond businesses that want to support the Challenge by partnering with us to hold third-party events between November and April.



And tons of brainstorming to be done to make the first ever Massey Mile a success:


I wont give away too many of our secrets, but among that list Becky is compiling are the words "bounce house", "water balloons", and "antique cars".  Seriously.

But at nearly one month away from the kick-off of the Challenge, we're nearly ready to get out an encourage Richmond to "Live Local, Give Local" in support of Massey!


And after most meetings, you can find some of us gathered for dinner, usually talking the ear off of whoever is nearby about the Challenge and why they should accept it.  Last week was no exception, as we made friends with our amazing bartender, Lance, who told us part of his own story.  I think we pretty much convinced him to join the Challenge along with us this year.  Which alone definitely made the night a success. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!