Saturday, April 20, 2013

Where Have I Been?

I've discovered lots of things in the last seven days.  One of them is that is is really.fing.hard. to write about how the most important day of your year feels.  I mean, how do I describe to you what it means, four miles in, when I really want to puke, a random stranger grasps my shoulder, runs up to look into my eyes and says "10 years - you are amazing".  Or how it feels to watch my little brother ask person after person if they would like to sign the Banner of Hope.  Or to have Lauren wish me Happy 10 Year Anniversary from the stage.   Or to have Brianna and her dad - who just 6 months ago I had never met - be there celebrating with me post-race.

I cant.  And that is hard.  Because you've been reading this blog for a long time. 

I've been waiting all week to find the right words - and they havent come yet.

After an event like the 10k, I find that I fall into something of a depression.  All we worked toward, all we planned for, all we wanted - it came and went in a blink.   I cant tell you what Monroe Park looks like at 5:30am on race day.  I cant tell you what Tim and I talk about during miles 4 and 5.  Or how much the sun.really.sucked and killed my race time.  I cant tell you how much $20,000 means to me or to other patients at Massey.  Or what it feels like to know that we set a record this year.  Or how much I already miss the Challenge Committee after just one week away from them. 

The last week has been a really hard one.  But a really happy one too.  And I do have lots to share.  So bear with me as I work through it all.  Because the stories waiting for you are good ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!