Friday, August 17, 2012

Why $25,151?

I suppose the title of this blog begs clarification.  Why $25,151?  That is my fundraising goal for the 2013 Massey Challenge.  It feels like a huge number - especially when I think back to six years ago when I was just considering taking on the Massey Challenge for the first time and raised over $1,200 when I had never fundraised for anyone before.  Or the second year when $5,000 seemed like an insurmountable goal.  I was celebrating 5 years in remission from Hodgkin's Lymphoma and it seemed like raising $5,000 would be a good way to do it.  But it also seemed a little crazy.

But then I raised $5,000.

And it didn't seem so crazy anymore.

My goal hasn't been as big each year.  Some years I've met my goals, some years I haven't.  But each year I have fallen in love with the Massey Challenge a little bit more.  The Challenge - its people, its mission, its power - has needled its way deeper and deeper into my heart.  And in the last five years my extraordinarily generous family and friends have supported me - and the Challenge - and have continued to drive me with love and encouragement.

So when talk began of how I should celebrate 10 years in remission, raising $10,000 seemed like the next obvious goal.  Until a few close friends pushed me and I raised that much during year 9.

So now what?

That's where my dear friend Julie stepped in.  After adding up the amounts I had raised through the Challenge over the last six years, the number $25,151 emerged.  And it was decided - I would celebrate 10 years in remission by doubling that number.  And thus this blog's title was born.

Am I scared to try to raise that much money in a mere 4.5 months?  Absolutely.  I might fall way short.  But I've thought that before, and I've been surprised, so why not try - right?

My hope for this blog is to let many of you see parts of the Challenge - and to hear parts of my story - that you never have before.  And if I can inspire just one of you to take on the Challenge yourself, that would be worth far more than meeting my goal.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love talking about VCU Massey Cancer Center, my story, and the Massey Challenge! I also just love hearing from others supporting Team Massey! Drop me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!